Monday 14 November 2011

A Whiter Shade of Pale

After the explosion of colour that the daylilies have provided, it might seem surprising to admit that white flowers are my favourites of all. It's a case of double happiness, because many of them are beautifully scented. One of the most floriferous is the gardenia. The one in my backyard is a mass of flowers, but individually the flowers are exquisite. There is an almost sculptural quality to the petals.












I don't think that there is a pure white daylily; however, this is one of my palest, 'Spacecoast Whiteout'.


Another pale daylily 'Wedding Band'


Louisiana Iris 'White Umbrella' in my front water feature with white agapanthus to the left.

Magnolia 'Little Gem' in bud





Magnolia or whirling dervish?



The beautiful simplicity of these tiny white flowers in a Neoregelia bromeliad reminds me of daphne, but alas no perfume.


The perfume from the datura wafts throughout the yard on warm evenings.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you about white in the garden. I do so love the bright colours, but white in the garden really adds that special touch. I too have 'Wedding Band' which is such a rich sumptuous creamy colour. I was given a Gardenia just last year, having never had one before, and it's blooming for the first time. I love the flowers and the perfume. It's terrific to see the blooms changing from that pure white to the rich buttery yellow as they age.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...