Sunday 24 February 2013

Tropical paradise

The rain has stopped for the moment. There are few patches of blue, but I don't think they will last. Much more 'weather' is on its way to us here in Brisbane. We are enjoying a gentle start to our Sunday morning here at Casa Bella. All I have managed so far is to read the Sunday newspaper and feed the pups.

Miss Bella has had a big operation on her cruciat ligament, and I am under orders from the vet to keep her quiet for the next 8 weeks(!), which is going to prove challenging. So, although I read that Dennis Hundscheidt's spectacular tropical garden was open to the public today, I reluctantly decided to give it a miss this year on account of the weather and the need to keep an eye on the invalid.

Luckily, I have a stash of photos from a previous visit. I never get sick of looking at them. There is just so much inspiration in what has been described as Australia's best tropical garden. What I particularly love is how beautifully 'accessories', in the form of garden furniture, statues and water features, are incorporated into the garden.

Hope you enjoy this pictorial tour.


Wonderful plant selection including beehive ginger, purple heart, bromeliads, lotus-filled pot and  parrots beak heliconia.




Water lettuce Pistia stratiotes filled pond with variegated costus and bromeliads


Bromeliad in fabulous pot with beehive gingers to the left 


So many different textures in the pathways - stepping stones, gravel, timber, riverstones




Love the colour palette and plant selection here: Mauritian hemp, purple heart, crotons, cordylines, large flowering bromeliad and bismarkia palm.






The red-flowering shrub just right of centre is Brazilian Red Cloak


Cordyline, croton and coleus (in flower) in the background with bromeliads in bed of rhoeo
  










Love the pop of the turquoise pot mirroring the pool. The tall variegated plant is Song of India Dracaena reflexa









The variegated plant in the centre is a Schefflera, possibly arboricola, with rhoeo border.

Hope you agree that this is a truly inspirational garden. In fact, I bought a Schefflera (pictured above) a week or so back and hadn't got around to planting it. I think I'll head straight out before the rain returns!

And the patient?


She's doing just fine.


16 comments:

  1. Oh I hope the patient makes a very speedy recovery. The poor thing! It's always sad watching a pet go through things like that.

    What a brilliant garden you've shared with us today. It truly is a tropical paradise and one I would love to visit. I could see myself spending a couple of hours there! Fabulous photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a humdinger of a garden, isn't it Bernie. In fact, I just had to stop myself from checking my watch and seeing if I could squeeze in a last minute visit. Next time...

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tour, yes it's a lovely garden and very refreshing for those of us still surrounded by snow and ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to imaging snow and ice. Here it is extremely wet, but still warm - I am floating around the house in a sleeveless dress and flip flops. You must be so longing for Spring.

      Delete
  3. Brownie sends love and lots of get-well licks and slobbers to Miss Bella.
    The garden photos are fantastic, thank goodness you had them to console your soul at not getting there to visit this year.
    Wishing Bella a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Virginia. Brownie's slobbers must have worked a treat, because Miss Bella is doing very well.

      Delete
  4. Wow that looks beautiful, and I love to take ideas away from other gardens. I often like the look of pots in gardens, but they never look quite as wonderful when I put them into my garden... I love the two pots on top of the stone squares leading into the garden pathway.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of great ideas here. The two pots work to separate one area from the next. The garden has its 'rooms' just as you would find in more classical landscaping.

      Delete
  5. Lovely shots of this beautiful garden, glad to hear miss bellas doing ok, she is a beautiful looking dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. She is doing very well, and the fur is just start to grow back on her 'nude-y' shaved leg.

      Delete
  6. My best wishes to Bella; it is such a worry when they are not well Hope she will be soon ready to play again.
    The garden is a marvel and an inspiration. thank you for the pictures I have never been to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is full of beans today, Titania. It was my first day back at work, but I knocked off early to make sure she didn't get too excited when everyone else walks their dogs past the house (late afternoon). I think the garden is open twice a year. It's at Sunnybank, so at least on the southside for you. Definitely worth a visit.

      Delete
  7. Dennis Hundscheidt's garden is wonderful, I've seen it before on tv. I hope the weather isn't causing you any trouble. Get well soon Bella!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am getting a bit sick of the rain Mac, but no flooding problems here thankfully, although I have a big battle with very healthy, giant weeds ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So lovely...such wonderful ideas! Glad to hear your little one is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is doing well, though it is a full time job trying to keep her quiet.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...