Monday 20 June 2011

Hot lips!

Despite being cut back ruthlessly at the tail end of Autumn, my Salvia microphylla 'Hot Lips' is already flowering lightly again, in Brisbane's midwinter.


I planted three along my front fence line about 12 months ago and they have flowered continually and garnered many compliments with the flowers varying from bi-colour to occasional all-white or all-red flushes. Seeing comments from other gardeners online today, it seems these single colour flushes are linked to the temperature, with white predominating in summer and red in winter.


Much as I love my red and white version, I was thrilled to read in April's Better Homes and Gardens that there will be new colour combinations to look for in my nursery next season. The bi-coloured pink one featured is a 'must-have'!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marisa,
    I've not seen this flower before...and will be on a quest to find the pink ones. I can see why they call this one 'hot lips'. You're going into my favorite season...autumn.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...