Tuesday 3 May 2011

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness

Autumn is well and truly with us here in Brisbane now. The days are getting shorter and the evenings slightly nippier. Yesterday I changed over my doona from my 'token effort' to the 'now we're getting serious' weight, and Miss B is all snug on the sofa in her little red coat for the first time since last winter.

There is always plenty to do in the garden in autumn and we have been lucky to have had two long weekends in a row, first Easter, then Labour Day. I started with the big jobs - some serious pruning for the poinciana and the murraya hedge, and then had some help removing a huge philodendron to free up some space in the side garden at the back of the house. Next, I potted up a Vietnamese mint I had bought at the Farmers Market in the City on Wednesday, which I promptly reversed over on my way to the nursery, before spraying a few weeds around the pool and 'weed and feed'-ing the front nature strip.

Fortunately, my mission at the nursery was successful. I managed to pick up a Brazilian red cloak (Megaskepasma erythrochlamys) which I have been obsessing over for quite a while now. 


I think it will be just perfect in the spot recently vacated by the philodendron.

The star of my garden this week has been the datura which has exploded in a glorious flush of cream and apricot flowers. On a wet and miserable night like tonight, it was wonderful to be greeted by the intense fragrance on my return home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...