Saturday 15 June 2013

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day June 2013

It's hard to believe that it is more than a month since my last post and that I missed May Garden Bloggers Bloom Day completely. However, I am slowly making inroads trying to get the house in order and catch up with study for a short course I have enrolled in.

The garden has been neglected, but being wintertime here in Brisbane, I can almost get away with it. Unusually for this time of year, we have had a little rain. Although the shortest day of the year is only just around the corner and the temperature is dipping to around 20C by day and under 10C in the evening, there is still plenty of colour to be seen in my winter garden.

'Wilders White' Hibiscus

In the front garden, most of the colour comes courtesy of the aloes, several members of the sage and salvia family, and the deep red foliage of the Cordyline Rubra.



Looking across the front garden to the aloe and Hawaiian Fan Palm, the striped foliage in the foreground is a rhoeo.




Aloe 'Diana'




Afternoon light throught the cordylines.

   

Yucca 'Purple Royale' to the right of this Diana spike

Aloe 'Southern Cross' and grapetopetalum

On the driveway, the Strelitzia or Bird of Paradise are in bloom (and  Bella and Onslow are keeping up patrol duties)




Nandina

Interestingly, in the side garden my Brazilian Red Cloak is still putting on a great display, although it was back in March that I was admiring them in the City Botanic Garden. I like it with the dark foliage of the cordylines in the background, and I am leaving a similarly coloured euphorbia volunteer to the left of the red cloak for the same reason.







Brazilian Red Cloak Megaskepasma erythrochlamys

Three of the salvias are adding a pop of colour to the garden bed.

'Heatwave Sizzle'

Pineapple sage


'Hot Lips'

Two of the bromeliads are in flower. The top one is Aechmea 'Burning Bush'. I don't know the name of the other, but the bright purple and red combination make it one of my favourites.




All in all, the garden has held up quite well in spite of having been somewhat neglected while I've been busy.  Like Onslow I have been on the inside looking out, rather than out there getting my hands dirty. Hopefully, I will be able to turn that around by the time of my next garden report.


To see what is happening in other gardens around the world this Bloom Day, visit Garden Bloggers Bloom Day host Carol at May Dreams Gardens.

14 comments:

  1. Love those Salvias, especially 'Hot Lips'. The blooming Aloes look fantastic too. Your garden is looking pretty darn good for begin neglected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Hot Lips' is absolutely worth its weight in gold; it seems to always be in flower. I have only propagated one successfully (layered by accident), though my brother hasn't had any problems growing them from cuttings. However, I saw they had some back in Bunnings over the weekend, and I am tempted to buy another one (or two).

      Delete
  2. I'm not a big Yucca person, but that Purple Royale is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a gorgeous colour. I'm not sure how high it grows - must see if I can find its tag. It is either quite small or a slow grower.

      Delete
  3. Hi Marisa, I just found your nice blog! You are having a lovely garden. I really like the tropical feel. I had to chuckle when I read in your profile that you are creating your dream garden "despite the enthusiastic assistance of Onslow and Miss B". I am working on creating my dream garden in San Diego and California as well. No dog yet, but hopefully soon a rescue Greyhound!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure a rescue greyhound would be a wonderful addition to your household - and hopefully not quite as hyper as my two. But of course I wouldn't change them for the world.

      Delete
  4. Marisa, it's so good to see you again after such a long while.
    You've still got lots of colour in your garden despite your neglect.
    Onslow seems to be having fun sitting on "his chair."
    Best of luck in your studies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Virginia. I read your blog each day to keep up with your news and Brownie and Brazen's latest antics - sorry I haven't been commenting. Hopefully back to normal in another month or two.

      Delete
  5. Your garden is looking great! I especially love the aloes and the Brazilian Cloak. I've never grown one but who knows? I still can't get over how many plants we have in common a world away.
    Happy GBBD! David/:0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David. I'm so pleased with the red cloak. It has grown quickly to fill what was a pretty dark space at the end of the garage. The big leaved foliage has a great tropical feel and I love the colour of the flowers.

      Delete
  6. I normally drool over multiple aloe blooms, but the foliage colors in the 'Southern Cross' and grapetopetalum combo is inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Les. That aloe in pariticular colours up beautifully.

      Delete
  7. So all this beauty is the result of a neglectful winter? Wow! I need to move :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weeds reached such terrifying proportions Sue, for the first time I got someone in to help me - four hours work and worth every cent!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...