Wednesday 10 October 2012

Kumai, Kalimantan

Just a fairly short post this time after my mammoth orangutan report. I've said previously how I love to wander round new towns and villages to see how the regular folk live and all the little touches that they add to mark their homes with their own individual flavour. And I do love a harbour or port town.

After we arrived at Pangkalan Bun to start our orangutan adventure, it was about a 30 minute drive to Kumai, where we boarded our klotok for our trip. I was dying to have a bit of a look round, but apart from firing off a couple of quick photos, I didn't get a chance for a better look around until we had finished our three days on the river.

Kumai was delightful. I loved the brightly painted houses, and the locals were absolutely charming and so friendly. I had run both my camera batteries flat zooming in on the wildlife over the previous couple of days, but Adri kindly lent me her spare while I wandered  the streets.



A beautiful birdcage hung between two riverside houses






Mie Ayam - a chicken noodle stand

A trio of very enthusiastic subjects





Gado-gado is a traditional Indonesian vegetable salad served with peanut sauce


These lovely ladies were making banana fritters







This lady looked a little stern, but she was very happy with her photo and kindly agreed to another.








Typical for their age, these girls were a combination of coyness and giggles.




Love these beautiful colours against the blue.




The pink flowering plant in front of this house and below is a euphorbia.








I liked this lime and rose combination for a bit of a change.

My final images of Kumai are from our klotok, and there is a fascinating explanation behind the featureless buildings that line the riverfront. They are roosting houses for swifts, whose nests are harvested and sold to be used in birds' nest soup.



There were dozens of swifts nests under the balcony on this building but our guide told us that they were a different kind of swift to those nesting inside the buildings.

A fabulous work in progress looking almost like Noah's ark





So I bid a very fond farewell to Kumai and its wonderful inhabitants, and hopefully too, farewell to my photography and camera woes (sorry about the date stamps!)  In my next few posts, I will be returning to my gardening blogging roots (pun intended!) and have some real botanical treats in store for you.

2 comments:

  1. Marisa, once again a lovely informative post..thanks.
    Those euphorbias crown of thorn plants can be quite prickly...ouch!! That's why I don't have any in my garden, wouldn't want Brownie to get hurt while chasing a lizard or some other critter.
    The enthusiastic subject (guy in white cut-off shirt) looks like a fun-filled character.
    We make pumpkin fritters here, so I guess I can substitute the recipe with bananas...my daughter has some unused bananas sitting on the counter...I'm off to try banana fritters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These euphorbias are incredibly popular over here and seem to have much larger flowers than most I see at home, but it is wise to think how the dogs could get hurt. Hope your Brownie's leg is healing well. I do like the idea of pumpkin fritters. I haven't come across them before.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...